ASID has a clearly stated mission; this statement of intent is reviewed each year by the Board, and it is from this mission statement that all activities of the society flow.
As an Australasian peak body in intellectual disability, ASID promotes research to inform and influence good practice and policy to achieve a society where people with intellectual disability are afforded the same rights and opportunities as all citizens.
The goals of the Australasian Society for Intellectual Disability are:
- to be an independent authority on intellectual disability issues across Australasia;
- to forge interaction between intellectual disability research, policy and practice;
- to lead the development of strategic partnerships;
- to engage and strengthen membership; and
- to ensure sound governance.
ASID is committed to the active involvement of people with intellectual disability in all parts of the organisation